Friday, April 27, 2012

In Search of the Best Hiking App


The Discovery
I didn't think that anything could possibly making hiking more fun. Hiking is amazing all on its own. Especially in the SF Bay Area where there seem to be limitless parks, open space preserves and nature preserves to explore. But then I discovered hiking apps on my iPhone, and now hiking is even more fun!

How can you not want to know how far you've gone, for how long, at what average speed, maximum speed and elevation change? Plus you get a traced route of your hike on a map to show your friends afterwards. Life couldn't be any better!

Starting the Search
But now how to find the best app? There are so many of them. I think that the search through all of the hiking apps is going to be a lot of fun! I have a tendency not to be very methodical about these things, despite my background as a scientist. Which is why I started this blog. I'll try to use the fact that I am promising to post my findings here as motivation to be as methodical as possible in testing out and comparing apps.

The App List:
All Trails
Gaia GPS
EveryTrail Pro
AccuTerra Unlimited

Let's Go!
I have downloaded all but the last one of these apps on my iPhone. I'm sure this list will grow as I proceed. I have a hike planned for tomorrow at the Forest of Nisene Marks. Which app should I use? I'll let you know!



No comments:

Post a Comment